Table of Contents
Master of Design Program Overview
Founded on the belief that design connects and enhances every aspect of life, IIT Institute of Design (ID) is dedicated to preparing students to effectively address dynamic and complex business, civic, and social challenges with rigor, depth, and imagination.
The Master of Design (MDes) curriculum teaches students the real-world skills needed to integrate, interconnect, and innovate beyond traditional practices of design.
ID students are taught to shape compelling opportunities through actively developing insight from multiple perspectives, exploring options through aggressive prototyping and critique, and identifying valuable directions that prompt action and support resilient change. Students learn through hands-on projects and real-world challenges, both individually and in team collaborations.
- Students with no formal design training are encouraged to apply, as our Foundation program provides prerequisite skills and experience.
- MDes + MBA students pursue two graduate degrees simultaneously, one with ID and one with IIT Stuart School of Business. Graduates are uniquely qualified to lead collaborative, interdisciplinary innovation initiatives in large and small global organizations.
- ID works with IIT Stuart School of Business to offer certificate programs to students interested in social innovation.
STEM Qualification for International Students
The MDes degree qualifies as a STEM degree which allows international students to apply for a 24-month extension to the typical 12-month optional practical training (OPT) period. This means students completing this degree may be eligible for up to three years of work in the US. Please see the US government’s website for more information.
MDes Curriculum + Courses
- Full-time, 2-year, 54 credit hour degree program
- Customizable study: Over 80% of the courses in the program are electives (seminars and workshops)
- Core course modules include Insight Development, Human Advocacy, Prototyping, Critique, Systems Thinking, and Adaptive Leadership.
- Concentration modules include Stakeholder Research, Communication Design, Design Futures, Policy Systems, Interaction Design, Service Design, Product Design, Systems Thinking, Business Innovation, Design Management, and Collaborative Design.
See the MDes curriculum overview or the full list of courses for more information.
- Four semesters (one additional semester with the Foundation program).
- 54 credit hours (15 credit hours additional with the Foundation program).
- The MDes program is a full-time, in-residence program.
- Summer: ID does not offer classes over the summer. Instead, ID staff supports students in finding meaningful, career-focused summer experiences, including immersions, internships, student-led projects, and faculty-led projects. MDes + MBA students can take business classes in the summer. Over 90% of our students engage in summer experiences that connect to and build on their ID education.
Learn more about Fellowships + Financial Aid
|Tuition (2020-2021 rate)||$24,501||per semester|
|Student fees, books, and supplies||$600*||per semester|
|Living expenses (room & board)||$6,750*||per semester|
|Health insurance||$1,499||per year|
Life + Career After ID
ID graduates have a greater than 90 percent placement rate and report high job satisfaction.
Our career services include structured programs like recruitID and careerID, as well as an active and engaged alumni network and robust events and programming, including our annual Design Intersections conference.
Our partnerships with organizations across Chicago and beyond give ID students a range of experience, building their resumes even before graduation.
ID graduates hold positions of influence in companies and design firms such as:
Amazon / Apple / BDC / Doblin / EY / Fjord / Google / IDEO / INSITUM / Logitech / McDonald’s / McKinsey / Motorola / Microsoft / Salesforce / SapientRazorfish / SC Johnson / Steelcase / Verizon
Organizations hire ID graduates for a wide range of roles:
Design Planner / Design Strategist / Senior Innovation Strategist / Director of Product Development / Director of Innovation Methods / Director of User Research / Brand Strategist / Director of Interaction Design / Senior Information Architect / Director of Strategy and New Business Development / Digital Enterprise Strategist / Director of Experience Design / Senior UX Researcher and Strategist
Click here for complete information on application requirements